This year, fifth graders' curriculum will be mapped to the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) using a wide variety of resources. The NGSS are preparing students for college and career readiness by having them "walk the walk and talk the talk" of scientists and engineers. How exciting!
Our big ideas in science this year in 5th grade will be:
Each standard is three-dimensional, meaning it focuses on science and engineering practices, disciplinary core ideas, and cross-cutting concepts. Here's a quick layout of the three dimensions.
Science and Engineering Practices
1. Asking questions (for science) and defining problems (for engineering)
2. Developing and using models
3. Planning and carrying out investigations
4. Analyzing and interpreting data
5. Using mathematics and computational thinking
6. Constructing explanations (for science) and designing solutions (for engineering)
7. Engaging in argument from evidence
8. Obtaining, evaluating, and communicating information
Disciplinary Core Ideas
Earth and Space Science s
Engineering and Technology
2. Cause and effect
3. Scale, proportion, and quantity.
4. Systems and system models.
5. Energy and matter
6. Structure and function
7. Stability and change
Data Collection Links!