Using a lever that moves up/down, some third grade groups have successfully designed a working switch! They've carefully selected conductors and placed them on the lever where it would complete the circuit when down. Way to go third grade! Check back for more designs as they work through this challenge!
With our ultimate design challenge underway, third graders are putting everything they've learned in their electrical engineering unit to work! Their ultimate design challenge requires them to design two working switches! They first had to imagine what their designs could look like following the following criteria:
1. The switches must be levers.
2. One lever must move up/down.
3. The other lever must move left/right.
Check out some of the third graders' plans below!
Check out these other "no-wires" solutions from the other third grade class. We're surely getting creative!
Mrs. Brinza! How can you possibly create a circuit without wires?!?!
Boy, were they up for the challenge! Using a "mystery conductor," third graders worked in teams to create an alternative to wires as part of a circuit. The "mystery conductors" ranged from paper clips, to metal button, to aluminum foil and washers. They all discovered one thing...the metal must touch in order for electricity to pass through! Check out their designs below!
Not all circuits are arranged the same way. Using the same materials for each circuit (one battery, up to three light bulbs, and many alligator clips), third graders are exploring the differences between series and parallel circuits. They've discovered the main differences between the two.
1. Series circuits have only one path for the electricity to flow.
2. Every time you add another light bulb to a series circuit, the light bulb gets dimmer and dimmer.
3. Parallel circuits have more than one path for the electricity to flow.
4. Every time you add another light bulb to a parallel circuit, the light bulb's brightness stays the same!
Can you use just a little less electricity each day? Find out what a electrical vampire is and challenge yourself!